Thursday, 9 July 2026

Matariki

 


Tomorrow the Pleiades star cluster (AKA the Seven Sisters) will be making an appearance in the sky signaling the start of the Maori New Year and represents a time for remembrance, celebrating and present and planning for the future. It's a public holiday here in New Zealand and I saw this sign outside the Greymouth Mawhera Pounamu Pathway building.

Just a note: I'm having with issues with Blogger not emailing me like it's meant to when I get comments to approve so it might take a bit by the time I come in and manually check.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday and Tom's Signs.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...enjoy the Maori New Year!

Ali Honey said...

So glad someone else realizes the 7 Sisters star cluster Is another name ( northern hemisphere ) for Matariki which I knew about long long before I heard about Matariki.

Andrew said...

That's a very nicely designed building.

Tigger's Mum said...

Nice building. Enjoy Matariki - hopefully the storm has passed and we can all enjoy the weekend.

doodles n daydreams said...

That is a great photo of the entrance to Mawhera Pa.

Jan K. alias Afanja said...

What a beautiful building. It is a fun fact that Matariki is another name for the Pleiades. And also that they mark the beginning of the Maori New Year. Have fun on Matariki.

Iris Flavia said...

Nice sign and... welcome to the club. Blogger never notifies me. But, well... it´s for free, right.

local alien said...

Maori New Year. A lovely celebration. Enjoy the day

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sounds like a great celebration. I'm glad they are getting some recognition.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wonderful building and interesting way to mark the new year.

Jim said...

Interesting designs.

Jocelyn said...

Great capture.

Photo Cache said...

Cute details.

Worth a Thousand Words

EricaSta said...

Wonderful... Clouds, the sky and the landscape too.

New blog

 Please join me at my new blog which is at amypie71.blog . I'm still making a few tweaks to it here and there, please change your link f...